Six students and two officials of the Nuhu Bamalli Polytechnic in Kaduna who were kidnapped last month from a school in Nigeria’s Kaduna state have been released.
The college’s spokesman Abdullahi Shehu, said the students and officials were released late on Thursday at an undisclosed location.
Gunmen attacked the main campus of the Nuhu Bamalli Polytechnic in Kaduna on June 10 and took students and staff members, in the process killing one student.
They “regained their freedom after their parents and relatives negotiated with the bandits”, Shehu said, but declined to say whether negotiations involved paying a ransom.
A parent whose child was kidnapped said parents and relatives of the students negotiated with the gunmen and paid ransom money.
“I am not in position to tell you how much we contributed and paid. That is not necessary. The most important thing is that we have secured their freedom, period,” Saminu Bala, one of the parents of the freed students, said.
At least 10 institutions have been hit by kidnappers and around 1,000 students and staff abducted since December.