…As security operatives move against incessant kidnappings in FCT
By Abiodun OBA
Less than 48 hours after gunmen invaded Army Estate in Kurudu, in Abuja, and abducted some residents, unrelenting gunmen on Friday, again abducted a resident of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) driving home with his wife.
The gunmen intercepted one Abdullahi Sabo’s vehicle at Sabon- Lugbe, Airport Road in the nation’s capital.
The victim was driving in his Ash colour Lexus Jeep with registration number ABC 769 TP when the unfortunate incident occurred.
It was gathered that he had left the city centre and was heading home when the attackers inside an unmarked Golf car opened fire and deflated tyres of the jeep.
One of the victim’s neighbours, Daramola Joseph, who confirmed Sabo’s abduction said: “They shot the tyres, forcing the vehicle to stop, but before they could get close to the jeep, the man’s wife had escaped. However, they went away with the husband,” he said.
“The man with his wife were returning from the city centre and heading towards the access road to Jedo Estate when the gunmen struck.”
Federal Capital Territory (FCT) PPRO, SP Josephine Adeh, as at the time of filing the report did not pick up calls placed to her nor reply messages sent to her.
Recall that at town hall meetings in Bwari and Gwagwalada Area Councils, Minister of FCT, Nyesom Wike, had assured residents of their safety, saying adequate security measures had been put in place.
The FCT Minister also announced the arrest of some bandits and their informants.
Meanwhile, the Military and the Nigeria Police Force High Commands as well as the Department of State Services (DSS) are taking security measures to arrest the ugly situation and restore normalcy to the area.
Director of Media Operations (DMO), Defence Correspondents, Major General Edward Buba who said that the military was not unaware of the activities of the criminal elements and the fears being created for innocent citizens said that the military was working with other security agencies and stakeholders to go after kidnap syndicates operating in the territory.
Gen Buba said that the Armed Forces were not unaware of the impact of kidnappings on the families of those affected and also recognised the fear it had created among residents lately.
He pointed out that following the resolved of the security forces to put an end to the situation, the Military hard deployed technology to detect the hideouts and enclaves of kidnapping gangs and that the tempo of operations had been increased to find, degrade, and destroy them.
Gen Buba said that troops are synergising with other security services and stakeholders to investigate and gather more intelligence on these kidnapping gangs, particularly around the FCT.
According to him, “In the FCT and environs, some of the areas cleared by troops so far include Kawu, Gaba, Deidei, Kubwa Hills, and Ushafa in the FCT, Garam, Jibi, and back of Zuma Rock in Niger State, as well as Gidan Dogo and Kuyeri/Kuyeri Hills in Kaduna.