By Abiodun OBA

The High Commission of Canada in Nigeria, situated at 13010G, Palm Close, Diplomatic Drive, Central Business District in Abuja was gutted by fire on Monday.

The explosion reportedly came with thick smoke from the generator house of the High Commission.

According to an eyewitness, the scenario seemed as if the underground tank of the High Commission exploded.

The source said: “It exploded twice. I learnt that they don’t use NEPA (defunct National Electric Power Authority, now Power Holding Company of Nigeria), but uses generator 24 hours.”

Speaking further, the source said a technician at the High Commission and another staff, were alleged to have gone to the generator room, apparently to carry out some repairs when the explosion happened.

“They were burnt beyond recognition, one black (local staff) and another diplomatic staff,” the source further revealed.

When contacted, an official of the Canadian High Commission who spoke with PM News, declined to comment on the incident.

Meanwhile, President Bola Tinubu has sympathized with the Canadian government, diplomatic community, and all persons affected by the fire incident.

According to a statement issued on Monday by Ajuri Ngelale, Special Adviser to the President (Media & Publicity), the president assured the Canadian authorities of the full support of the Nigerian government in the aid of diplomatic and local staff of the High Commission, who were particularly affected by the incident. 

He prayed for the repose of the departed souls and wished all injured persons a rapid and full recovery.

You may also like


Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *