The Yobe Police Command has said claim by the Nigerian Army that it rescued 20 of its personnel abducted from its station in Buni Yadi town, Gujba Local Government Area of the state from Boko Haram/ISWAP terrorists should be discountenanced.
Recall, Brig Gen Bernard Onyeuko, the Acting Director of Defence Operations had while giving update of military operations across the country on Thursday claimed that troops rescued the 20 kidnapped police personnel, who were abducted when the terrorists attacked the Police Division at Buni Yadi.
However, Yobe Police Command spokesperson, ASP Dungus Abdulkarim, said the claim by the Army was false, mischievous and fake and should be ignored by Nigerians.
The police spokesperson said no police personnel was kidnapped or declared missing when suspected members of Boko-Haram/ISWAP insurgents attacked the Buni-Yadi police station on 30 November and burnt down the structures.
Abdulkarim added that all the conventional personnel of the division, as well as the PMF personnel, had been accounted after the incident while the Army also failed to disclose identities, ranks, the formations and other particulars of the police personnel allegedly rescued from terrorists in the press conference.
The Yobe Police spokesperson said, “The attention of Yobe State Police Command has been drawn to a trending news making the rounds on both social media and the mainstream media platforms to the effect that “Twenty (20) Police personnel kidnapped by Boko-Haram/ISWAP Insurgents during an attack on Buni-Yadi Police Division in Gujba Local Government Area of the state were rescued by troops of the Nigerian Army (Operation Hadin Kai).”