Bisi ABASS

 

The Kabba Medium Security Custodial Centre (MSCC), Kogi State, has been attacked by gunmen freeing at least 240 inmates.

The Nigerian Correctional Service (NCoS) spokesman, Mr Francis Enobore confirmed on Monday that the attack led to the death of two soldiers.

The spokesman stated that the attack took place at about midnight on Sunday.

Enobore also appealed to the general public to assist security operatives with useful intelligence that will assist in recapturing the escapees.

The Assistant Inspector-General of Police in charge of zone 8, Lokoja, Ayuba Ede who also confirmed the attack, said the two soldiers were killed at the roadblock before Kabba Correctional Centre.

Edeh said the State Commissioner of Police and other heads of security agencies have swung into action.

A statement by Sola Fasure, Media Adviser to the Minister of Interior, Ogbeni Rauf Aregbesola,  said the Minister had been briefed by the Controller General of the Nigeria Correctional Service (NCoS), Haliru Nababa, that during the attack, security officers on duty, comprising of 15 Soldiers, 10 Police Officers and 10 armed guards of the NCoS on duty, fought gallantly to repel the attack.

Two officers of the Correctional Service are yet to be accounted for while newsmen reported that four soldiers and a policeman lost their lives during the attack.

The Kabba Custodial facility had many of whom escaped after the gunmen used explosives to destroy three sides of the perimeter fence.

However, out of the 294 inmates as of the time of the attack, 28 inmates did not escape. Some have also voluntarily returned to the facility as of this morning.

The statement said the Controller General of the Nigeria Correctional Service is currently monitoring the situation.

“A Crisis Response Centre has been activated and a Special Taskforce mobilized to recapture escaped inmates whilst an Inter-Agency Security Task Force is already on the trail of the gunmen who attacked the facility.

“The public is advised to stay calm as the situation is under control,” the statement added.

Aregbesola assured the citizenry that Nigeria’s security forces would find the attackers and bring them to justice.
“We shall leave no stone unturned to bring them back to custody,” the statement quoted Aregbesola as saying.

“We are also putting INTERPOL on notice with their details, in case any of them attempts fleeing outside our shores.

“We urge the people, especially the communities around the custodial facility, to be vigilant and report any strange and suspicious persons or activities to the nearest law enforcement agency.”

You may also like

Comments

Leave a Reply